Last year, the headlines for the Toronto International Film Festival were dominated by the show-stopping arrival of Lady Gaga and Bradley Cooper at Roy Thomson Hall for the highly anticipated premiere of “A Star Is Born.”
Clad in a dramatic Armani gown, Lady Gaga was “unveiled” on the red carpet while thousands of fans looked on. This year’s festival promises to be an equally celebrity-studded affair, and the actors coming to TIFF 2019 are some of Hollywood’s hottest names:
- Kristen Stewart will grace the red carpet for her starring role as French New Wave Actress Jean Seberg in the biopic Seberg, along with co-star Anthony Mackie of Marvel fame. Stewart’s performance as the radical 1960s figure has been called “mesmerizing” and “her finest work to date.”
- Beloved Harry Potter star Daniel Radcliffe will be in town promoting his new, chilling sci-fi thriller Guns Akimbo. His character, an awkward video game developer, gets pulled into a dark underworld and is forced to join an illegal death-match fight club that is live-streamed to the public.
- Canadian “Stranger Things” star Finn Wolfhard will be promoting The Goldfinch, a gripping adaptation of Donna Tartt’s Pulitzer-prize-winning novel. His movie mom Nicole Kidman and season 3 breakout “Stranger Things” star Maya Hawke will also be in attendance.
- Javier Bardem brings environmental issues to the forefront as one of the biggest stars of TIFF 2019. His documentary Sanctuary, co-directed with his brother, documents Greenpeace’s fight to save the Atlantic. The duo will also host a post-premiere discussion of the film.
- Michael B. Jordan, Jamie Foxx and O’Shea Jackson Junior (oldest son of rapper Ice Cube) will walk the red carpet for Just Mercy, the gripping story of a Harvard-educated lawyer who travels to Alabama to defend a wrongly convicted man on death row.
- Constance Wu, Keke Palmer and Julia Stiles will join Jennifer Lopez for the premier of Hustlers, the game-changing story of a group of strippers that turn the tables on their Wall Street clients. Inspired by a 2015 New York magazine article that went viral, Hustlers promises to be another success story for Wu after last year’s Crazy Rich Asians.
- Eva Green lights up the screen ⎯ and the red carpet ⎯ as an astronaut-in-training in Proxima. In the film, Green grapples with the effects of the grueling physical and psychological effects of the training on herself and her daughter.
- Robert Pattinson is one of the Toronto International Film Festival’s 2019 stars. His role in the chilling horror film The Lighthouse, alongside Willem Defoe, is a gripping tale of one man’s descent into madness. Sequestered on a tiny island in the Atlantic, Pattinson’s character Ephraim Winslow goes from paranoid to unhinged, finally sliding off the deep end. The film, shot in 35-mm black-and-white, is expected to be a fan favourite.
But the real star of TIFF 2019 is the city itself.
If you’re coming into town for the festival, take advantage of a great deal on a hotel so you have more to spend at the city’s best restaurants. And for more about the festival films and events, visit the official TIFF website.